HANSON-ROBERTS TAROT REVIEW



I’ve gone over many sample readings using this tarot deck and never really noticed it. I’ve seen it in numerous books teaching tarot and not resonated with its illustrations. It wasn’t until I saw it in action in a video that I told myself, “okay. Time to get it.” What influenced that decision?

Size. This tarot deck is not standard size. Rather, it is almost in bridge size if not thus. I am tempted to trim the obtrusive white edges to set these cards free and make them more comfortable for my hands, but I don’t have a corner rounder. I suspect it would not go as I want it to, so I will leave them this way. For now. I recognize this as the same card stock of the Joie de Vivre, which gave me many paper cuts as I broke into it. The edges don’t quite feather, they just get ruddy. The card stock really could stand to be better. These cards would look much nicer on a matte card stock. One that doesn’t feel like a credit card… which is what these cards feel like to me. Flimsy credit cards.




I also have a problem with the titles of the cards. The scrolls really don’t need to be there, much less with five languages on the cards. It would be wise of the publisher to revise it and place the titles in white or black font. They’re distracting! The only card I don’t terribly mind it in is in the Ace of Coins. The white flowers make the train wreck blend in a little.

Getting past that, the illustrations are quite beautiful. I really enjoy the fact they are drawn in color pencil. Since I started out my illustration work with Prismacolor pencils, there is something here that I can appreciate. Apparently the originals are just double the size of these cards. I really like the illustration style and the gentility of the people in the illustrations. They look sweet… unless of course we are talking about the Seven of Swords, in which case the person looks like a sly fox.

The colors and the textures are very soft, the style is evocative of children’s books. There is a sweetness in the deck that you won’t be able to shake. These are gentile characters you interact with. I quite like that about the deck, given the nature of the readings that I do. It speaks with sensibility.

I still haven’t done a full reading for myself, only drawn cards at random. The first reading I will conduct with it will be this interview.




What is your most important characteristic?
King of Wands. I master all passion, charisma and creativity. I am an advocate for things that you enjoy, and will help you breathe life into your craft.

Note that this tarot deck was illustrated with color pencil. This was the first medium I ever used to learn to draw, and stands today as my favorite. It is the one that I always return to because I love it so much.

What are your strengths as a tarot deck?
Strength. Funny. This deck is courageous and will only 'hold back' when the situation calls for it. Notice the gentility of the lion when handled by the lady. Reality can be a bit strong, but when handled with care will actually pose great wonders.

What are your limits?
Two of Coins. The deck won't compensate for the connection between Querent and reader. The chemistry established on the table is up to them both.



What are you here to teach me?
Justice. Patience must come with experience. Let time pass, because often times it will be the definitive factor in a situation neither side is particularly sure about.

How can I best learn to collaborate with you?
Three of Wands.
Time will strengthen the bonds you think might be there. Until you get to that point, just be patient.

What is the potential outcome of our working relationship?
Page of Coins. It is a gift and should be seen as such. It is a tool for work that you love to do.



Which card do you want to show off?
Page of Swords.
See, he is on his guard and his eyes are keenly focused on what happens next before acting.

How do you see me?
Seven of Coins.
The one with way too many options. This is a reference to my tarot collection, most likely. I am considering selling about 20-40 decks in August. Stay tuned for that.

How do you see yourself?
Ten of Rods. A deck tried by time and experience. It has been around for a while, and has amassed much popularity amongst readers. Many people have a copy of this deck even if they do not read with it.

These cards are succinct. There is no flourishing, just the reality. I like that it translates to such few words.
♡♡

No comments:

Post a Comment

♡♡