THE COTTAGE IN THE CANYON




Today I want to talk about personal matters in my online diary. I’ve enjoyed the warm respite of a blossoming relationship and while I am adjusting into what my future is turning into, its been productive to document privately.

I just got back from a romantic retreat in the Topanga Canyon. My beloved boyfriend Chris and I drove up the mountain path and staid just shy of 16 minutes from Santa Monica Pier, but the sights and the silence were perfect for two city folk looking to get away for a while. We had a beautiful cottage house not far from the summit of the mountain with hiking trails, silence, rain, layers and layers of blankets and pillows, pillow talk, and ghost talk.

The first night we had wine over dinner, then we spent some time together. After that we returned to the cottage, bundled up and listened to the rain. We heard a band of coyotes howling and fronting with a siren. It was otherwise dead quiet. We cozied up and opened our hearts up to one another. It was a very moving experience and one of my favorite moments in all of 2018. Toward the end of the night I got to spend time with my thoughts, opening my eyes to new epiphanies that sunk in.



We enjoyed some hiking through trails, finding a memorial along the way and coyote paw prints. Later on as we approached the summit we spotted a coyote and admired it as we came closer. It disappeared into a precipice with expert stealth. Once we reached the summit we enjoyed the clean air and looked out over the city. It was calming to share that experience with my best friend.

During our stay we got to enjoy a romantic dinner at the Inn of the Seventh Ray. Everything about this outing was perfect. As you descent the stairs you have nothing but trees and fairy lights surrounding you. There is a glass chandelier reflecting the light shards all throughout the courtyard, and a room with windows to the lights and a fireplace. I thoroughly enjoyed connecting with Chris over some delicious Moscato, enjoying the sights and savoring dinner made for us from scratch. After dinner we cozied up on the couch together, sharing a blanket and enjoying one another’s company. I got some time in reflecting and writing about my recent experiences in my journal. I fell asleep in the perfect silence with a smile.





The town happened to be scattered all throughout the mountain, which prompted us to go on a fruitless excursion to get decent brunch on Thanksgiving day. The mornings rolled around the mountain sweetly, rewarding us with the most crisp breezes and cool weather.

We left that cottage house feeling fresh and sparky, in good cheer and with renovated affections. During our stay we discussed our relationship at length and came out of this experience with clarity and personal assurance.

There was a lot to be celebrated on this trip. We were commemorating our first year knowing each other, celebrating Thanksgiving and rewarding ourselves with a rare vacation. We anticipate the arrival of our custom promise rings so that with every day wear we'll cherish our lives together and take nothing for granted.



The light rays of romance can permeate through any healing spirit and resurrect it. I am proof of that. Just look at how I glow with my feverish love for him. I am so lucky.
♡♡

No comments:

Post a Comment

♡♡