TOKYO DECADANCE 2012 AT CAFE CHRISTON




I am absolutely charmed with my very first nightlife event in Japan. At 10:30 P.M. I set out from the hotel by myself and felt strange all the way to Shinjuku. We don't rely on public transportation in Puerto Rico, so I took it as a part of the experience of being in a foreign country. I stood before the Alta t.v. as so many before me have, feeling electric with the prospect of the night that lay ahead. To be like an alien and a natural at the same time takes some adjustment, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed it.

While I waited, I met a pretty girl by the name of Sayaka. She was incredibly sweet and so was her friend Taku, who arrived shortly after we had initiated a conversation. They both looked stunning! We waited together until Mat and Kelly got there, and then we went our separate ways before the party, but not before I thanked them for their company.

We walked through some very old streets in Shinjuku, the first with a bunch of restaurants and the second being Golden Gai. It had literally 300 bars inside tiny walkways and alleys of different themes and time periods. You could enter a room and find yourself in the 70's with your friends, or go to a rock bar and delight in some British punk atmosphere. Some could only fit up to 5 or 6 people; others could only fit up to 3. It reminded me of a compacted Old San Juan brought to life with cats, people looking to unwind after work, kareoke, and quirky characters. I would have loved to have spent a little more time there.
When we got to Cafe Christon, we took the elevator up and stood in line for half an hour until Wednesday Addams came to tell us the rules: No sex, no die, payment at the door. They let us in and it turned out to be a haunted house on our way up the steps. It was not at all what we were expecting, so we started on our way as somebody dressed up as an undead came right at us. Poor Kelly fell down on the stairs twice because she happened to know one of the staff members who worked that night, and he was extra keen on scaring her. Ouch! Every time we reached a new floor, we were met with another creepy scene and at least two lurkers trying to scare us. Believe it or not, I coasted through Halloween Horror Nights, but I felt very scared here. It was mad fun!






Once we got out of that, we found a playground fit for children of the night. Nice chandeliers, a throbbing crowd of people dancing and good music. It had been so long since I had been to a party like this, so it felt like a warm welcome back to my favorite place. We each got a shot and then the photos started; there were so many amazing costumes! I felt a little shy to ask people for a photo since my Japanese is terrible, but Mat helped break the ice and introduced me to some lovely people. Had my Japanese been better, I would have chatted up many more clubbers. I danced like crazy, indulging in the delight of self-expression without words.

The performances were breakthtaking and surprisingly humorous for a first timer at Tokyo Decadance. I saw belly dancers, fire dancers, wrestling, an aereal dance, and a performer play some tricks. We each got a chance to dance on the pedestal for the professional dancers, which gets pretty intimidating once you realize there are people watching you and taking pictures. At some point we took a break to sit down and look for Mat. Half an hour later, Sayaka  from the Alta t.v. came up with Taku. They asked us to dance with them, so off we went again. This was for me the highlight of the night, they both looked so good dancing and they shared some nice laughs with Kelly and I.



There were many instances in which I had to control myself. Everyone looked so beautiful that I was tempted to go a little trigger happy with the photos. I remember walking a few laps around the club to get a good sense of place. I saw people with ships and flowers in their hair, ravers, clowns, Elegant Gothic Lolitas, and some very impressive demons & succubi. I regretted not bringing my Debauch Bunny costume along even though it wasn't worth the risk of damaging it in the long trip from the tropics to Asia. It may make an appearance next year, though.






At 5:30 A.M. we walked out of the party — even though it was still raging on — and by 6:15 A.M. I was on the train to Shimbashi. Dead tired, smelling of cigarettes and alcohol even though I didn't partake in either, and with the widest grin anyone could place. I felt as if I was walking on the moon on my way to Shiodome. I keep saying this, but my experience was magical.



See you next year, Decabar!
♡♡

No comments:

Post a Comment

♡♡