THE FOUNTAIN TAROT REVIEW



The Fountain Tarot was made by Jonathan Saiz, Jason Gruhl and Andi Todaro. It is a compilation of beautiful artwork that is also functional. What’s more, is that there is an underlying tone of psychology and principles of metaphysics/quantum physics throughout. The use of color and shape is conductive to moods and thought processes, which I thoroughly enjoy. Who doesn’t want a tarot deck that inspires the mind?

I feel as I’ve been submerged in the sea of the subconscious, whatever that is and however that feels. It’s more like taking a dip in those waters, and coming out to a quiet place. Something like what I’ve envisioned our memory banks to be. There is an abstracting quality to this deck that reminds me of Professor Eddy Robert’s motion graphic piece, Axis & Allies. I tried to link the video here, but it doesn't show up properly on his site anymore.

Something that I noticed about this deck right away is that they thought about what the bigger picture looks like when you lay it all out in terms of color. A cohesive system! The hues are not all alike, but they are still within the same tones, and they blend the cards together in a reading for you. My eye enjoys going from negative space to white space, and following along the motion that the more dynamic lines trace. The negative versus white balance is pretty incredibly dynamic, and I love that! It’s part of what makes this deck have such an impact, I think.

Their extra card, The Fountain, is really beautiful. It’s like a Torus, or Toroidal flow. But it’s organic and if you look into it enough, you can see the colors in motion. I can’t wait to receive my booklet in the mail and to read the definition they gave it. For some reason, my deck arrived without a booklet. lol.



Something that I really liked about the official Fountain Tarot release, though, is how much of themselves they poured into the project without it becoming all about them. Their work took life and now sustains itself. Real magic!

I think that they meant to give this deck such a strong mental or psychic charge. That’s really the most I am getting from it. The usage of plain surfaces with interactive darkness and the usage of geometric shapes really makes me see this deck as a tool for the field of psychology. I honestly haven’t heard enough about the origins of the deck or its wonderful trinity of creatives. I didn’t pledge for the Kickstarter, I just got it when it came out. But it’s really stunning!

The card stock is really nice. It isn’t very slippery, though. I have found myself not wanting to riffle shuffle the deck so as to allow the silver gilded edges to remain intact. Fanning them out divides the deck into smaller chunks that I re-stack, then deal the cards out from the top. Some fanning powder might help them become more slippery, but I think they’re just new and need to be broken into. Once the silver edges wear down, — and that could be years with this high quality stock! — you’ll likely get a move even fan.

As far as culture and race goes, I feel like the net is cast pretty wide. The figures within the cards feel otherworldly; I see them like clay figures that will transform and take life according to the situation they are applied to. They can be any age and any race, even the court cards. To me, these versatile figures will show their true faces once they come out in a reading. The results will likely be tailored to whoever is asking the question.




What is your most important characteristic?
The Moon. Dealing with the subconscious mind. Whatever springs out will not be overthought. It will just be, and through your intuition you will pick it up and harness it. At times, it may overwhelm. Sometimes it will be quiet like a flat sea. I love that!

What are your strengths as a tarot deck?
Eight of Cups. Help in walking away from preconceived notions or bias. Look instead for new meanings and answers to your questions. As your journey goes, you will find that you can keep going; you can keep on stretching your muscles until you arrive someplace completely new. There is a reward for all of those who venture the journey.

What are your limits?
The Tower. There may be some ideas you hang onto that tip you out of balance. Fortunately, this tool is going to knock out the extra weight. Once you’re not carrying it anymore, you will open your eyes to reality and find that balance is restored. Sometimes, all it takes is an end to something to put you in the mindset to seek new beginnings.


What are you here to teach me?
Page of Swords. You can learn a creative exercise through which to stretch your mind. Seek to use your intellect like a tool, and you will notice yourself sharpening it up. Nothing will get past you then.

How can I best learn to collaborate with you?
Nine of Cups. Enjoy the gift that has been given, and share it with others so that the joy might multiply.

What is the potential outcome of our working relationship?
The World. That’s funny!

Success in conquering a new system. Opening your heart and your mind to something new will help you grow, and help all those that you talk to grow as well. It’s a cycle that breeds positivity and self-empowerment.



Which card do you want to show off?
Three of Swords. Whaaat? That looks like a glass heart! It also looks like some sort of plasma. I can’t tell if it’s water or solid, but I love that!

Accept pain with grace. Most importantly, learn from pain and from your mistake so you won’t have to go through those things again. If you do, perhaps you will be more equipped to handle the trouble next time.

How do you see me?
The Fountain. You are a source that pulls from the infinite and channels that energy into manifestation. Through you, through your clients and your friends you make possible a web of manifestation that connects us all together. It is not just one person as an individual making a difference, but rather the collective consciousness we all form when we focus our ideas and our intentions to work together for something.

How do you see yourself?
The Hanged Man. I neither am or not. Things just are.



Whoa, the personality of this deck is really coming through and I love it. I feel as if I’m being schooled by a most experienced mentor, and I love that quality about this deck. I am really looking forward to working with it. It seems to be a new favorite, and a back up copy will no doubt be on its way to me in the foreseeable future.

if you want to purchase your own copy, you can do so through The Fountain Tarot’s official web site.

I would really love it if they considered making a dark sister deck to this one. Kind of like the yin and yang.

Each time I tell myself “no more tarot decks,” something shiny and new comes along. It’s usually something that adds variety to my collection and breaks out of everyday things you see out there in the tarot world. I had to have this! I can’t recommend it enough if you want something new to your collection that will give you more than just the usual. Thoroughly recommend it!!!
♡♡

1 comment:

♡♡