A MESSAGE FROM THE AUTHOR



The next four years of our lives stand as a need to have a call to action on a daily basis. I have watched in horror as the rights of all those that are not white privileged people being stripped away, layer after layer. I do not condone gay rights being subjected to loopholes to make discrimination okay on paper, and nobody should stand for that. We can’t allow our country to be turned into the biggest bully of them all. We’ve been through a long winding road to legalize herbs and to protect gay LGBTQ marriages. We can’t let our rights be taken from us.

I find myself to be a minority, being a Hispanic female working in the divinatory arts, and once upon a time in the visual arts. Everything I stand for and represent is endangered, and how day after day I am moving closer to what could be losing my rights to live in the place that I call my home. I am an American citizen that hails from an island that is not considered a state. Puerto Rico is a US territory and even though the racial discrimination I have faced since I moved here has been very mild, things are different now. I feel that my people are in queue for quite a long list of disasters coming. You can kiss Rosselló's wishes to become a state goodbye, that's likely not going to happen. Instead we are facing complete restructure of our government at the hands of those that don't care for us and will not stop at belittling us. But that's a story for another day, because there are people who as recently as over the weekend were not allowed entry back to their country of residence. There was a huge protest at the JFK airport over the weekend, an event so big that its cries rippled through the rest of the nation. I had clients tell me they were about to go get ready to join the protest that same night.

There is a wave of intolerance hitting my brothers and sisters from other cultures. This is not okay and this is not something we as a united nation should ever allow. I don’t identify people by race, so I feel like these attacks are unconstitutional. People are no different. We all have the same standard build: bones, nerve endings and internal organs. Skin color and features make us beautiful in our own right, but they absolutely do not make us different. Our customs and the way in which we choose to behave or think is what makes us different.

I want to note that I am not at all against the white race. I definitely respect their rights as well. My problem is with the entity of the government, which is allowing the wrong kind of actions to take place. My problem is not with those in a privileged position, but with those looking to take my rights away just because they don’t agree my people have a space among them. You can’t take stolen land and ban immigrants from a nation that was built by immigrants. That's hypocritical. That's being a racist and putting your own race above all others. That's not playing fair by the others, and instead choosing to be a bully.



I don’t want to see my online friends having multiple anxiety attacks and taking to the public forums of Tumblr and Facebook to express this much grief. It’s so concerning. It's becoming a real problem, the scale of the issue is staggering. My friends are struggling. Their problems are our problems too. Just because we may not be directly affected by what is happening to them does not mean we cannot be empathetic for them in these times of struggle. We have to be if we wish to see things change for the better.

Please voice your support of minorities, LGBTQ, women, and anyone else feeling under attack. All it takes is “I stand with you” for those feeling marginalized to feel like they aren’t so alone.

All my life I have chosen to stay outside of political problems and global conflicts because I felt like my personal mission was to empower others. I have made it my personal mission to help those under distress to find inner strength and to find out what their choices are. We all have choices we can make to help our country become a better one. We can’t stand along the margins and watch our right be taken away.

The truth is that we can’t stay silent. We need to keep putting our best example forward to teach others that violence and trampling over the rights of others is not okay. I don’t want to see the progress we have been proud to nurture being threatened. Everybody has rights; not just the privileged.

Please don’t stay silent!

Enlist the use of your talents to spread support and to stand up for yourselves. Let your voices be heard. Send postcards to your senators.

EDIT: I found this post on Facebook and I copy-pasted it here:
"Yesterday, while we were distracted by the illegal detention of muslim immigrants in international airports nationwide, the President removed the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Director of National Intelligence from the National Security Council. He replaced them with Steve Bannon.

Bannon has no government, intelligence, or high-level military experience; his experience is leading a propaganda outlet (Breitbart News) that peddles nationalist and white nationalist viewpoints.
This would be deeply concerning in and of itself. But one of the jobs of the NSC is to oversee a secret panel that authorizes the assassination of “enemies of the United States Government” – including American citizens. These targeted killings are fully authorized by law under the Congressional military authorization act following 9/11. There is no trial, no due process, and no public record of the decision or the assassination itself.

Just to recap the absurdity:
the President of the United States has appointed a known propagandist, nationalist, and white supremacist to replace the highest military advisor in the country on a council that authorizes secret, legal, targeted killings of American citizens (and others) without due process.


WHAT YOU CAN DO:
♡  Call your Senators and Congressperson this week and demand that they publicly and legislatively oppose Trump’s appointment of Steven Bannon to the NSC.
♡ Spread the word about this news to your networks, since this is not getting a lot of coverage right now."
I do not own the intellectual rights to the above copy-pasted message.

I’m an advocate for equality, and if any of you ever find yourselves in need of a favor or advice from my cards, I will be pleased to provide it. You are not facing these challenges alone. I am with you. I stand with you in these trying times. Somehow we will get past all of this.
♡♡

No comments:

Post a Comment

♡♡