THE HEART OF FAERIE ORACLE




In recent times I find myself looking to nature for solace. It’s weird — I never saw myself in this headspace. I’ve always been a city girl with Avant-garde tastes. But no, not now. Right now all I want is silence and cards. I want to spend afternoons in the garden, pouring tea with snacks and a Querent to cut my cards. I yearn to hear the birds chirp, for adventures in learning the language of flowers, animals and trees. I want to commune with Mother Nature and have her show me what she has in store. I want to learn to spot and understand natural omens as the celts did, or the forest folk.

Ironically, what I didn’t understand about Brian Froud’s world back when I first picked up the Faeries’ Oracle is what draws me in to it now. I appreciate that it is an oracle system with its own order and ranks. I like that it doesn’t pretend to be a tarot replica. I like that body types cover the whole spectrum — even the impossible kind! It’s a free world that accepts the natural order of life cycles, undisturbed by the woes of the city; first world problems that bear little meaning to life.

This deck is the second incarnation of Brian Froud’s Faeries’ Oracle. It was meant as a follow-up oracle to be used for romance readings, and readings concerning our relationships with ourselves.



The cards themselves are just over standard size in semigloss, with reversible backs and easy glide. I remember the deciding factor for me to get these cards being its reversible backs, so stunning. There was once a time when I would combine both Faeries’ Oracle and Heart of Faerie Oracle to make a mega deck. They fit perfect!

The way I prefer to read them is simply by pulling them freely off the top and seeing if there are any similarities. I look for movement between one to the other, or imagine them having a conversation relevant to my life. Sometimes, I feel that the cards talk amongst themselves and exclude me. Other times, I feel like I've jumped in there and I am conversing with them.



The best part of this deck is the illustration quality. Brian Froud shares a world unknown to us with such a clear guise that we can interact with it. It’s easy to step in through a portal on the frame of the card to have conversations with the fear. Thanks to that, we can also play amongst them.

Using these cards will help you tap into your intuition. If you are already of the belief in faerie folk, this deck will have you dancing amongst the trees of the forest and singing along with them. It’s very easy to jump into the cards and converse with the characters that dwell within them.

The one thing about them is that they are marketed for romance readings. To me, this works as a stand alone oracle and does not necessarily need to be kept within the confines of the field.



What is your most important characteristic?
The Song. I wear a mask of modesty to shield me from the realities of the outside world, but beneath it all I still can’t hide who I am. I am more plain than most see me, but I carry my plainness with dignity. I make no apologies for being strange or hard to understand.

What are your strengths as an oracle deck?
The Big Behind. My first incarnation super backs me up. I like to play, I don’t want to always be taking life too seriously. The reminder of a childlike spirit will teach many to follow their hearts and to seek their inner child to come out and play.

What are your limits?
Unnumbered Card. Some mysteries will still remain in the realm of faerie. We don’t reveal all of our secrets, but we will come out and play with you if you request it. You need a young heart and an imaginative mind to play, but the rest is set!



What are you here to teach me?
The Child. I am here to teach you to find yourself reborn in spirit as you explore and learn. Let the light come to you, and soon you will find yourself playing amongst us as if you’ve known us all along. Allow your senses to open and to remain fresh, that’s all you will need to play.

How can I best learn to collaborate with you?
The Temptation. You will learn that even in beauty there are dangers to behold, and truths to accept. A few challenges will make themselves known to you; strive to not let your guard down. Always be aware of your surroundings and how they may be warning you of the lurkers.

What is the potential outcome of our working relationship?
Speaker of Truth. Trust in your intuition and in what you pick up; it won’t lead you astray. Hold your truth to you as a shield, speak clearly and without reserve. You will find the hard things to tell will be understood and you will be free of worry. Trust.



Which card do you want to show off?
The Messenger. Messages come and go on swift wings, so be attentive to what the faeries are trying to tell you. Sometimes, the message will be on the foreground. Sometimes, the background. Sometimes, stray elements that are not necessarily acting with their environment, but that are reaching out to speak to you.

How do you see me?
The Boy.
Young at heart, ready to play and ready to venture into the world. You smile a lot and your eyes give away what you really feel. You’ve got friends on the other side, — spirit and non-human folk, — that back you up. Your friends on the other side send you messages of every kind, wishing to steer you in the direction you most need to go.

How do you see yourself?
The Smith. I work tirelessly to craft ideas into life, to bring things from the other world into yours. Others watch and wait to see what will come out next. The truth is that no creation will be similar to the last. They are all one-of-a-kind, and that will show in your readings. Each combination will yield a unique result, regardless of being produced by the same source.



A very enlightening review. These cards are really stunning. I like that they retain their mystery as part of their personality. Each deck embodies a persona, and this deck has one that is very appealing to me.

Wishing you all a magical weekend!
♡♡

No comments:

Post a Comment

♡♡