TOUCHSTONE TAROT REVIEW




TOUCHSTONE TAROT, TELL ME TRUE:
Kat Black, the creator of the Golden Tarot made another one by the name of the Touchstone Tarot. When I first read about it, I wasn't very impressed with it. I didn't work with tarot decks with heavy religious influence until recently. Ever since I started to collect tarot decks, my opinion on the subject has changed radically. I find that the symbols of Christianity and Catholicism add a flair to my readings, but I read them as universal symbols, rather than their prospective teachings. What I like about Kat Black's work is the fact that the figures are such accurate depictions from their source material. I love medieval times and find the archetypes of the adjacent periods to be more comfortable there. It just feels right to find the subjects where they reside, in the world of the past but still brimming with life. There is magic in the montage of the cards; it allows a modern-day conversation with important figures dating back to the 1300s. Even though they died centuries ago, they still have a lot to say to me today.

Something I am compelled to talk about is how very personal these cards feel to me. Every time I put one down and I turn it over, I feel that the person in it is talking to me. It is very curious because there is barely any interaction between the cards. Rather, I feel that the cards are talking directly to me. Each portrait invites me to come in and have tea or dinner with the person in the card, while I learn from their anecdotes. They want to share their stories with me, tales of their spiritual ventures. I rarely click with tarot decks in such a personal level as I have with this one. It's a shame that the Touchstone Tarot is out of print! Luckily, there are still many units available on the internet for those that are interested in it.



The Touchstone Tarot follows but is not limited to the standard Rider-Waite tradition. It shares just enough fresh content to draw meanings from intuitively. The source of its images also makes it a deck that speaks through ancient wisdom. I find that anyone who appreciates classical art is likely to be enamored by these cards. They are ideal for use in Europe or in medieval themed taverns. If I were to read at a Renaissance Festival, these would be the cards that I would use.

TOUCHSTONE TAROT INTERVIEW:


Most important characteristic:
Judgement. A dramatic, life-changing and positive experience. The divorce of previous thoughts and tendencies that don't merit staying. An enlightening experience or change in perspective after which you won't be the same. This tarot will be calling for me to act, reminding me of things from the past that can be removed in order for me to continue my spiritual venture.

What are your strengths as a tarot deck?
Five of Wands. Employing a controversial practice to deliver messages that are tough to swallow but necessary. Back in medieval times, being a witch was a practice of heresy. They were persecuted and punished for going against the teachings of religion. I feel that this card tells me the deck struggles with itself, with its traditional roots. It stands true even when met with the contextual opposition. That says a lot about this deck.

What are your limits?
Ten of Swords. Tragedy may strike, but keep your response in perspective. This is a sign not to take personally the fact that things don't always work out 100% the way we want them to. It is necessary to keep an open mind even when the messages we are met with are not the ones we want to hear. [The card is pretty intense, I chose to leave it out of the spread. Sorry!]

What are you here to teach me?
Seven of Coins. To carefully consider your options before you make a decision. It is necessary to set time aside to think after working on something for so long. with the woman nurturing a withered sprout, I feel like it is also a fresh intake to the same old cards. Cater plans of the future to what is left to cover.

How can I best learn to collaborate with you?
Ace of Cups. Graceful acceptance of new-found feelings and wisdom that comes from the heart. Be satisfied with the abundance of wealth that you have, and seek compassion with the difficulties that lie ahead. Love is medicine.



What is the potential outcome of our working relationship?
Three of Cups. Keep it light and fun, don't take things too seriously. I like the idea of fellowship and network of support through dialogue. It would be a good idea to use this deck for love readings since it's so personal. It's a suggestion of using this deck in parties or social gatherings, maybe even at bars with so many cups present. It's a social deck!

Which card do you want to show off?
The Happy Squirrel. This card is a popular joke within the tarot community. It all comes from a Simpsons episode in which Lisa gets her cards read by a theatrical gypsy. I find that this is a great choice because very few tarot decks have a Happy Squirrel card. May you never pull the grim messages from the Happy Squirrel!

How do you see me?
Knight of Coins. A passionate student, matured well beyond her years. (Thank you!) Taking the time to explore the slow journey and enjoying it. I feel that this card also points out the fact that I work with the tarot on the side of enjoying it so much. It has quickly become my main — but not the only — trade. It's a good sign I'm on the right path while my graphic design takes a small recess.

How do you see yourself?
Nine of Cups. Granting wishes. New friendships, parties and good times. This card is always a positive sign, and can be interpreted as the main source of entertainment at a party, or a gracious host that will tend to all of your needs.

Touchstone Tarot, tell me true. This is what I ask of you!
♡♡

4 comments:

  1. The Touchstone Tarot has never really spoken to me, which I'm grateful for given it is now OOP and expensive. Still, this was a lovely reading! Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Neopagan Priestess,

      I can certainly see how it's not for everyone, because at first it wasn't for me either. At least you have a prized OOP tarot deck now!

      Thanks for stopping by. : )

      Delete
  2. I just got this deck and the art is epic on it. I discovered your blog when searching for others that have this rare treasure of a deck. It's funny how the "mass market edition" has basically become a collectors edition! Anyways, good post. Oh, there is a bit of irony in how the 10 of swords is telling you not to ignore things that are uncomfortable to hear, but that was uncomfortable, so you ignored it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eloquently stated. You're totally right! Thank you for your contribution.

      Delete

♡♡